Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2017 8:14 am  #301

Re: Hora: Everything I Never Said

Hamegido begins laughing, which only serves to make us grip our gun handles harder. "Oh, hunters," he smiles, standing up. Kedo's gun follows his every move, as do ours. "So... gullible."
     And at that moment, all heII breaks loose.

A bar fight. Just great. This is going to attract so much attention.
     It is worse than I've ever imagined.
     Because emerging from the shadows is Kokyu Shi.
     Jikan and I exchange glances. In a flash, the horrible massacre of my team when we tried to turn him in races through my mind in a terrible memory. Kokyu Shi excels at murdering. Why on earth he would back Hamegido up, we don't know. All we know is that we have a nightmare happening before our eyes.
     One of Hamegido's bodyguards closest to Kedo fires the first pistol. We all duck in horror and in what seems like slow motion as the bullet flies past our faces.
     One bullet only kickstarts the rest of them. Kedo gives the command to shoot back, and that begins brutal bloodshed.
     Bullets fly and bodies drop to the floor. The sharp metallic smell of blood joins the saké scent as the gunfight worsens. I crouch behind a wall, holding my gun in my shaking hand. I don't want to be the leader of another mission that only serves to lose lives.
     I whip around and shoot another time, retreating to my hiding spot immediately following the shot. I want to look again but I'm too paralyzed with fear to turn around and gaze at the bloody slaughter on the floor. How many of my own teammates are laying there lifeless?
      The presence of Kokyu Shi was unexpected, but we should have been able to handle this. What went wrong?
      I extend my hand to shoot beyond my cover again, but a bullet grazes past the skin on my leg and I have to bite my tongue to keep from screaming. Everything in me wants to run, but nothing in me wants to leave my team.
      It's then that Jikan slides next to me, barely missing the gunfire showering around us. He turns to look at me, sporting a bullet-grazed gash on his cheek. "We're the only ones left," he gasps. Then he turns to shoot again.
     When he looks back to face me as we're crouching behind a wall, I ask in terror, "We run?"
     Jikan closes his eyes, deep in the midst of making a hard decision. "If we run, we could get shot."
     I lower my head as Jikan fires another time back at the bodyguards and murderer. "If we stay, we get shot, too," I murmur.
     Jikan grabs my other hand in his. For a moment, everything moves in slow motion around us again as we meet each other's gaze. "Do you trust me?"
     I don't say a word as I nod breathlessly. Whatever Jikan is about to lead us into, I know he's going to lead us out.
     Like the time we first met and Jikan led me through the burning flames and branches, he squeezes my hand and pulls me to my feet again. We both duck as we make a dash for the door, bullets flying behind us and showering around our feet.
     Even when we're "safely" out the door, the bullets don't stop. They shoot through the wooden walls of the bar and pitter-patter like death-doom raindrops on the dirt street that we flee down hand-in-hand.
     We continue sprinting through the small town even when we don't hear footsteps pursuing after us. Jikan and I then break through the outskirting branches of the forest and finally slow before coming to a gasping stop deep in the forest.
     My bullet-grazed leg gives out as the painful pressure becomes too much. I collapse in his arms, and he just pulls me closer.
      Neither of us say a word as we gasp for air, intensely panting after the driving physical exertion. There were no words to express what each of us felt. Once again, we were the only two hunters to survive another massacre mission. And we've lost the entirety of the rest of our team.
     Jikan helps me stand without collapsing. I shift all my weight to the leg that isn't gushing blood.
     "Are you shot?" Jikan asks after another gasp of air.
     "Bullet-grazed," I force out of my desperate lungs. I look down at my foot soaking in a small, growing pool of blood around it from the scarlet liquid torrents oozing down my leg.
     I look back at Jikan and notice the raw, bloody, bullet-grazed flesh on the side of his face. "Your cheek," I mutter, my heart breaking with painful sympathy.
     Jikan only puts one hand on my back and pulls me into a weak but consoling hug. I love it when he does this. Flooded with reassurance that we're both alright, I rest my head on his shoulder once more and exhale in breathless relief.
     "Do you feel guilty," he mumbles, "that we alone escaped from another massacre?"
     "Sometimes," I whisper back. "Other times I think it was meant to be."
     "Hora," Jikan murmers, pulling away and stroking my hair behind my ear. "I wanted to--"
     I never did find out what he wanted to do. All of the sudden, a bullet flies through the air and slams in to Jikan's shoulder. My heart stops in cold horror as he drops to his knees, groaning in pain. When I finally find the words after a few seconds of paralyzed shock, I shriek, "Jikan!"
     I collapse to my knees beside him as he doubles over, grimacing with the excruciation.
     "Stand up, hunter," a voice behind me orders. I freeze again, unable to breathe when I realize it's Kokyu Shi.
     Jikan looks up at me, his dark eyes searching mine. "Do what he says, Hora," he tells me in a gasping whisper.
     I can't move. I don't want to move. I won't move. I won't leave Jikan's side. If I'm going to be shot anyway, I might as well get shot side-by-side with the man I love.
     Jikan doesn't relent. "Trust me," he orders softly. "Do what he says."
     I swallow the rising lump welling up in my throat. Jikan used to be Kokyu Shi's bodyguard. I trust Jikan with everything, don't I? My heart begins to slam against my chest as I decide to get up. Slowly, I put one foot in the ground, pulling myself to one knee. With my back toward Shi, I then stand up completely, my chest rising up and down heavily with my horrified breathing and heart-sledge-hammering.
     "Drop the weapon," Shi orders darkly.
     Jikan has kept eye contact with me the entire time. He nods slowly, and I breathe faster when I reach my right hand to my holster and curl my fingers around the handle. "That's right. Pull it out and drop it on the ground," Shi commands. "Don't test my patience. And the moment you try to pull one on me is the moment I shoot both of you -- starting with him." Ouch. Are we really that obvious?
     I pull the pistol out of my holster and toss it aside. It lands on the forest floor, and I hear Shi snort in satisfaction. Shi slowly walks over to me as I stand there, frozen in fear.
     For a moment, all Kokyu Shi does is stand to the side of me, examining me as I avoid his gaze and stare solely at Jikan. Then he walks around me in a slow, close circle, stopping after a round and then running a finger along my slender shoulder armor. "You work for Keisuke?"
     "Yes," I force myself to answer.
     He taps the initials on my shoulder guard and snorts. "I could tell it was he who was after Har Megiddo the minute I saw your little group of twerps." He grabs my chin in his hand, turning my ignorant face toward his. "Pathetic."
     I don't blink as I stare into his hard eyes, but I'm sure my panicked breathing and thrashing heart give my apprehension away. Shi snorts. "Please don't tell me you two are part of the Elites. Seeing your skills, I've lost all previous respect for Keisuke."
     "I'm Elite," I answer.
     Jikan grunts in pain. "I'm far from it."
     "Oh, you're Elite?" Shi cocks his head at me in surprise. Then he laughs, letting go of my chin and looking at Jikan. "Didn't see that one coming."
     Jikan doesn't say a word, but his face is now pale with pain though his eyes are flaming.
     Shi turns back to me, drawing his gun from his holster. Then, as if second-guessing himself, he pauses in his action of bringing it up to chest level. "You're that kid from when Jikan was my bodyguard."
     "Except I'm no longer a kid."
     "Yeah, you're 'Elite,'" Shi mocks as if Elite warriows are the most ridiculous thing he's ever seen in his entire life. "And you look about a thousand times more pathetic." Then he nods. "But you've got potential."
     Potential? I ran from the recent fight like a coward. But then again...
     I was one of the only two that made it out alive.
     Kokyu Shi grabs my arm and then points his gun at Jikan. "The girl comes with me, Shoto dies."
     I wonder who he is talking to, but not for long. Soon, three other warriors emerge from the trees surrounding us and all point their guns toward Jikan, who only closes his eyes in defeat.
     I slam my elbow into Shi's chest, which makes him release his grip on my arm as he reels back in pain. I drop to my knees by Jikan's side again and firmly plant myself there.
     "Hora," Jikan mutters as if I'm being foolish.
     "I'm not leaving you," I force between gritted teeth.
     Seeing as I've made up my mind, Jikan wraps his good arm around my shoulders. I spit firmly to Shi, "You're going to have to kill me before you kill him. And seeing as you want me, that's a stupid decision."
     Shi glares. "Separate them and kill Shoto immediately," he orders the surrounding warriows.
     A woman jabs a gun to the side of my head and wrenches my shoulder, ripping me to my feet as someone else rips Jikan to his. A surge of adrenaline courses through my body as I backfist the woman's face and break her jaw. She gasps in agony, dropping the gun from her hands. I snatch it in midair, grit my teeth, and shoot her shoulder. She screams before dropping to the ground, blacking out.
     I turn to the remaining two as if to demand who's next?, my eyes flashing from the man who holds a gun to Jikan's head to the man wrenching his arms behind his back.
      They pause, one of them turning to face Kokyu Shi, who is watching all this in amusement. "What do we do, Kokyu? The minute we shoot is the minute she shoots."
     Shi snorts. "Let me handle her. Then kill him."
     Kokyu Shi begins walking over to me, but I turn to him and pull the trigger before he can stop me. The bullet only grazes his neck, but he lets out a short, manly scream of agony. In a flash, he pulls out his gun to shoot me back, all the while Jikan slips out of the two men's grasp and breaks the wrist of the one holding the gun, then knocks them both unconscious. Shi and I stand staring at each other, guns drawn, while Jikan stands to the side and points the gun at him.
     "Don't do it, Kokyu," Jikan warns. "I'm a better shot than you ever were."
     "And if I don't?" He questions -- surprisingly -- as if him not shooting me is a possiblity.
     "I'll turn you in alive."
     Kokyu Shi just laughs at him. "Boy, you couldn't turn me in if you tried."
     "But I can kill you in one blast. Lower your gun."
     Shi raises his eyebrows at the threat, then glares at me. "I hope you remember this, girl. I'm sparing your life for a reason." He lowers his gun, and the minute he does, Jikan shoots him anyway.
     As soon as Kokyu Shi drops to the ground in loss of life -- or so we think -- I gasp in relief as the adrenaline rush leaves. Heavy, overwhelming waves of exhaustion, fatique, and war-weariness come crashing down on me all in one slap of horror-aftermath.
     I turn to Jikan, and he instantly wraps his strong arms around me again, pulling me close. I cry into his shoulder, hugging him back. The calls were so close -- too close.
     Jikan hugs me tighter. "Hora," he whispers into my ear. "You just saved my life."
     "No, you saved mine," I mutter back through my tears.
     Jikan strokes my hair as I close my eyes. For several recollecting, consoling moments, he cradles me until I stop crying. He gives me one last squeeze before pulling away.
     "Hora," he begins again. "We need to wash your bullet wound. You're losing a heck of a lot of blood from your leg."
     "We need to wash your wound," I correct, even though I am feeling intensely faint.
     "Yours first," he corrects back with a smile as he takes my hand in his and leads me farther into the forest beyond the unconscious bodies.
     "You know where water is in this forest?" I ask quietly, afraid I'm going to pass out at any moment.
     As if on cue, we hear the faint rushing sound of a waterfall. "I do," Jikan answers. We walk under the stars for several minutes, hearing the roaring falls grow louder as we travel closer.
     Finally, it comes into view -- it's a large, beautiful sight, crashing down into a river that travels through the forest.
     "I had no idea about this place," I whisper as we walk closer to the cool mists. The spring air warmth combines with the coolness of the water and completes this gorgeous moonlit night. 
     Instead of pausing at the low banks of the river, Jikan leads me alongside them and toward the waterfall.
     As we near the chilling falls, Jikan brings me closer to him and then points behind them. "Do you see the hidden cave behind the falls?" He asks.
     I lean in closer and notice the gray rock of the open cave, barely visable with the moonlight and reclusive behind the shimmering falls. "I see it," I say.
     Still holding my hand, Jikan leads me past the falls of the water until we're behind them.
     "Wow," I breathe, feeling the color return back to my face as I feel less faint. "This place is beautiful."
     We take a moment to look around, a magical blue haze over the secluded foresty spot. The mists from the waterfall's crystal clear waters illuminated by the moon's silver light spray us as Jikan then leads me to the cave's mouth, right behind the falls.
     When we're both sitting down, more color returns to my face. The painful pressure is off of my bleeding leg, and Jikan reaches his hand out of the cave and through the falling water. "The pressure's not too much," he says when he looks back at me. "I can channel it with my hand and we can clean your leg."
     "But your shoulder," I protest.
     It's too late. Jikan has already moved my leg out the mouth of the cave and is channeling water from the falls to wash the bullet-grazed gash. The feeling of the water cleansing away the blood makes me inhale sharply with the pain, but I know if it doesn't get washed now it's only going to get infected later.
     When he's done, I pull a small roll of cloth gauze out of my slim weapon belt. Jikan takes it from me, and the moment he's done wrapping my leg, I lean my head against the wall of the cave, close my eyes for a moment, and exhale heavily in relief. The pressure has stopped the bleeding, the pain subsides, and the rest of the color returns back to my face.
     When I open my eyes and pull my leg back in the cave, Jikan smiles. He reaches his hand to the sparkling waterfall beside us and mildly washes his shot shoulder, the bullet finally being removed.
     "Better," I playfully scold.
     He grins and then takes my hand in his again. "I love you, Hora," he says.
     A smile lights up my face. "I love you, too."
     Jikan strokes my hair behind my ear again. "Hora," he whispers. "I can't tell you how much you mean to me."
     My heart begins to flutter as I smile at him. He continues, "If I could put into words the amount of pain I felt when I thought I lost you all those near-death times, I would. And it was only the thought of seeing you that kept me going through my recovery. Truth is --" at this, he takes my other hand in his-- "I need you. I need you like I need my next breath. You're the first one on my mind when I wake up in the morning and the last one on it before I fall asleep at night. I couldn't love you anymore if I tried."
     My heart begins to pound as I search his loving dark eyes in excitement. What is he saying?
     "Being a warrior is dangerous either way. But I find that when I'm with you I can't imagine my life any better. If we do this, we won't know where we're going -- but we'll go there together. And I will take that whether it be pain or pleasure as long as I live the rest of my life with the only woman I've ever loved and ever will love.
     "I don't have the ring yet, but -- Hora Sakenomi, will you marry me?"
     My heart stops. He's holding my hands and asking me the most life-changing question I'll ever answer. He's asking me to break Code. He's asking me to break all the oaths I've ever taken and instead to vow to be with him for the rest of my life.
     And I wouldn't have it any other way.
     "Yes," I whisper back, staring into his sparkling eyes. "Oh, yes."
     Jikan grabs my arms and pulls me closer, our eyes closing and lips slowly meeting for a kiss. Indescribably happy fireworks burst inside of me and I feel like I'm about to pass out again, only this time of sheer joy. I'm going to marry the man I never dreamed I would.
     Little do I know that I'm going to make the worst mistake of my entire life.

Whoever made up the superstition of that it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding obviously never had to elope. Jikan and I have to travel together through the thickest forest on the island of Hakkaido and have our seclusive wedding in the deepest part in the middle of it.  I'm not even wearing a wedding dress -- we're going to be married in our regular warrior attire for maximum camoflauge and secrecy.
     But we don't care. We're standing surrounded by the most beautiful circle of trees at the closing of spring. The flowers and vines entwining the trees canoping above us are illuminated by the setting sun's golden light. Nothing could be more perfect.
     We face the man who is marrying us, then each other as we put the rings on. Jikan slips a ring on my finger, and I slip one on his. My heart is wildly beating, and it's only that Jikan is holding my hands in his that I'm able to keep from fainting. I can hardly believe this is happening. I'm the happiest woman alive.
     Since we've chosen to do a western wedding, we repeat western wedding vows. "I do," Jikan promises after his.
     "I do," I promise after mine.
     The man marrying us closes the Latin Bible he is carrying. "Then I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."
     Jikan takes lead, swooping me down and planting his lips on top of mine.
     Whoever made up Warrior Code has obviously never kissed their spouse.

"Sakenomi," Keisuke begins angrily as I stand in his office one month later. "Your fellow teammates have reported to me some surprising facts I didn't want to believe."
     My heart stops in cold horror. Is he talking about Jikan and I?
     "Of what, sir?" I question innocently.
     "Take last night, for example -- a silhouette of a man and woman kissing outside of the dorms was reported by two of your teammates. If only one had spotted it, I wouldn't be so concerned. But two completely different witnesses? That worries me."
     "Did they say who the kissing couple was?" I ask in what I hope is genuine curiosity.
     "No. But other evidence from earlier this week leads me to believe it was you and Jikan Shoto."
     "What evidence?" I ask in feigned confusion.
     "Shoto will not stop staring at you during mission briefing. That's a fact."
     My heart drops to my stomach. What could I possibly say to that?
     Keisuke folds his arms and narrows his gaze. "I want you to be one hundred percent, perfectly honest with me. You are protected if you tell the truth. Have you and Jikan broken Code?"
     My mouth goes dry. I swallow before answering, "No, sir." Hoping my bluff is believable, I add, "I wouldn't break Code for anything. That's punishable by death."
     "For some reason, Sakenomi, I just don't believe you," Keisuke sighs, shaking his head. "Just admit it. You and Jikan were the ones kissing behind the dorms, weren't you?"
     I let out a fake laugh. "Oh, lord, no!"
     Keisuke glares at me, searching my eyes for lies. "Tell me the truth. I'm not going to execute you if the truth is that you have broken Code."
     Knowing him, he would honor his word and spare my life -- but absolutely execute Jikan for breach of promise.
     "That would be reassuring if I had broken Code," I tell him. "But I have not. I'm not sure why you are suspicious of Jikan Shoto and I."
     "Evidence, Hora. A lot of it. I can't just ignore it all."
     "Well, you have my word, sir -- I have not broken Code. I will never break Code. It's there to protect warriors for a reason. Love is like war -- everyone gets hurt."
     Little do I know that I'm speaking my doom.
     "Well said, Sakenomi," Keisuke unfolds his arms. "I don't want to believe that you've broken Code as well as my trust. I don't want to believe it at all." He nods toward the door. "You may go."
     I slightly bow to him and then walk through the door, my heart pounding. The minute the door closes shut behind me, I lean against it and try to recover, taking deep breaths.
     This is really, really not good.
     Ironically, Jikan and I are walking down Keisuke's hall after being dismissed from another mission briefing that evening. When we reach the end of it, Jikan pauses and then looks around. Turning to me, he says, "Can we talk outside?"
     I nod, and he leads me through the secret stairway and out to the outdoors. He looks around again and then pulls me behind Keisuke's building.
     "Hora," he begins. "This is getting too obvious. Keisuke was already suspicious of us, remember?"
     I nod slowly. "Keisuke had a meeting with me about it today."
     "What did he say?"
     "His warriors have caught glimpses," I mumble. "And they reported it."
     "How mad was Keisuke?"
     "He was amused at first, then grew very furious. He told me there had been evidence reported against us but he didn't want to believe any of it."
     Jikan looks around again. Even behind buildings, we are not safe from sneaky eyes. Looking back at me, he says, "This is really, really not good."
     "So," I whisper sadly, "What do we do?"
     "What do you think of one of us switching occupations?"
     I draw a horrified blank. "What -- what do you mean?"
     "Separate jobs. That way it's not obvious and a lot less suspected."
     "But -- that means we'd be separated, too."
     Jikan nods slowly.
     "Oh, Jikan -- I don't know. Being separate tears so many couples apart."
     "But what happens if we get found out at work?" He argues gently.
     I bite my lip. "Possible death sentence for breaking Code."
     Jikan nods again. "Think about it," he tells me. "Let's only make the decision if we're both in agreement."
     "We are," I decide quickly.
     "You sure?" He asks.
     I nod. "It would solve a lot of problems."
     Jikan holds my hands. "Only if you're absolutely sure. It's a very drastic step."
     "We don't know where we're going..." I remind him with a smile.
     "But we're going there together," he finishes.
     "Do I switch occupations or do you?"
     "I will. I have ties with Maruko -- the occupation switch would be easier for me. I know I've vowed to Keisuke, but I'm sure he'll honor my request, especially if he doesn't want us together. He'd be more than happy to dismiss me."
     I nod. "How -- how often would we see each other?"
     Jikan ponders on this. "One week out of the month."
     I try not to wince. "But it's either one week or getting found out?"
     "Inevitably -- unfortunately."
     I nod once more. "I guess that's we're going to have to do."
     Jikan squeezes my hands. "The time will pass before we know it. And when we're together, it will be as if we've never been apart."
     I trust him, so I nod a final time. He glances back once more before bringing me closer for a hug, stroking my hair once. Everything will be okay.
     Only it won't. We've just made the worst decision of our entire lives.

The entire three weeks without Jikan are miserable. This is one of the only times he's ever lied -- the time is not passing before I know it. I wake up in my bed in the girls' dorm thinking about Jikan and how much I miss him. When I walk through Keisuke's foyer or down the halls, I expect to see Jikan waiting for me at the end of the corner -- instead, I realize with sadness he's again working as one of Maruko's warriors. He's not there to hug me after a horrifying mission or help me lead a team of warriors. I'm so alone.
     I look up at the moon one night before retiring to the dorms and wonder if Jikan misses me just as much as I miss him. I finally turn the corner of the building and walk through the dormroom door and make it to my room. As I collapse on my bunk, I run my finger through my hair and sigh. How many more weeks until Jikan--
     I pause in my thoughts and look over at the nearby dresser. A letter adressed to me is sitting nearest my bunk bed. I stand up slowly and walk over to it, running my finger along my name before picking the envelope up.
     I open it quickly and -- and -- yes! It's from Jikan. I can tell instantly from his scrawled handwriting. Trembling with excitement, I read the letter.
     Dearest Hora,
     I'm up early this morning for a mission of tracking down an assassin named Ari Xiang-Su, one of the public enemies for Maruko. But as the sun is rising, my thoughts are of you and you alone. And as the sun glistens on the flowers outside Maruko's place, they still can't match the beauty that I see when I look into your eyes.
     Jikan continues on, and I finish reading the letter with the biggest smile on my face. Jikan does miss me as much as I miss him. I look at the date -- one week ago. I then factor in today's date -- he'll be back in five days. I'll have to be the first to write him a letter next time.
     I lose track of time nearing the last week of the month -- I've been gone on a very intense mission. We've barely been able to keep the team together -- everyone keeps arguing despite my leadership, and it drives me crazy. Oppurtunites to grow my leadership skills, sure, but nobody seems to like listening to me.
     I'm so exhausted, I can barely move my tired, heavy feet after mission report in Keisuke's office after we arrive back. This is one of the only missions I've ever been on that I've actually brought back a captive alive for the bounty. Noticing my exhaustion, Keisuke is gracious for once and tells someone else to lock the captive up for me.
     I walk down the hall, through the stairs, and around the building to the girls' dorm. My steps, eager as they are to get to bed, are slow and heavy. I look up at the starry sky and sigh in more exhaustion. I wish Jikan was here.
     When I near the dorm, I stop before walking up to the door. Was there someone hiding in the darkness, leaning against the wall?
     Taking the chance, someone grabs my hand and pulls me around the side of the building, deeper into the shadows.
     "Jikan!" I squeal when I see his face. He pulls me into a kiss for several moments and then pulls away. "How was it working for Maruko again?" I ask.
     "Lonely," he sighs. "I think I lied. The time did not pass by quickly for me."
     I laugh. "Time didn't pass by quickly for me, either."
     Jikan takes both my hands in his. "Did you get my letter?"
     "I did!" I exclaim. "Thank you so much!"
     "Is Keisuke off your back now that I'm working away?"
     I nod. "It's all calmed down. He asked if I noticed you were gone, and I told him I hadn't really. He was relieved to perceive I did not care, and after asking one more time and gaining my assurance we weren't in love, everyone is over it now."
     Jikan squeezes my hands. "Smart girl."
     I beam before we kiss again. It's been so long -- I feel as if it's been an eternity since seeing Jikan.
     "Where are you going to stay?" I ask.
     "The hotel in the nearest town," he sighs.
     "I have another mission tomorrow," I mumble. "But it's short. We should be done by tomorrow afternoon. I'll come see you afterwards."
     "There's no way I can come with you, right?"
     "No," I sigh. "Not unless we want Keisuke really on our backs, as you're not even a hunter anymore."
     "You're right. That would look really, really suspicious."
     I rest my head on his shoulder, and he wraps his arms around me. "I've missed you so much," I sigh.
     "Oh, Hora, you're exhausted," Jikan mutters.
     "How can you tell?"
     "Number one -- I'm a very smart man. Number two -- we're kindred spirits. Number three -- your breathing changes whenever you're physically exhausted."
     I laugh weakly. "But I don't want to turn in for the night. I've missed you so much."
     "I'd let you fall asleep in my arms and then carry you to bed, but..."
     "That would blow our cover completely," I laugh.
     "Exactly," he sighs. "But please -- get some rest before your mission tomorrow."
     I pull away. "Okay."
     "Good night, Hora."
     "Good night," I sigh.
     I turn away, walking around the side of the building again and then stepping through the front door.
     My heart drops cold when Fea is standing in front of me, her jaw dropped and arms folded.
     "What the heck was that?" She demands, gaping at me.
     I wince. "Was what?"
     "You and Jikan!" She shrieks under her breath. "It's true!"
     I wince again. "Keep your voice down!"
     Fea looks like she's about to faint. "There's no way you can tell me to my face that you haven't broken Code."
     I slam Fea against the wall and clap my hand over her mouth. "Fea," I hiss, daggering my death glare into her brown eyes. "Don't you dare say a word."
     Fea rips my hand away from her mouth. "You're a liar," she gasps. "I can't believe you."
     "That's smart."
     "You know breaking Code is punishable by death," Fea says in disbelief. "Why would you ever--"
     "It was worth the risk," I tell her. "It was worth it all."
     "An Elite warrior, having broken Code all along," Fea shakes her head in awe. "I never, Hora."
     "Fea," I hiss again. "Were you the one who reported the previous incidents?"
     "I heard of them," Fea tells me in honesty. "But I wasn't the one who reported them. This is the first one I've seen."
     "And you're not going to tell anyone about it," I order.
     "If I don't report it?" She states. "I promise that you two will get found out eventually, and if it's found out that I knew all along -- I'm just as much as part of it."
     I step closer, my face barely touching hers as I glare harder. "And I promise you that I will kill you if you dare tell."
     Fea turns her face away. "I don't know what to tell you, Hora. If I tell Keisuke, I'm pretty protected."
     "You're not," I argue. "I promise you that."
     Fea turns back to face me. "I'll think about it."
     I grab her arm as she tries to make her escape. "Don't forget," I add threateningly. "I know where you sleep. I am not kidding about killing you if you dare tell."
     Fea rips her arm from my grasp and walks away again. I stare after her, wondering whether or not she really is going to tell.
     If she does, I'm done for.

That afternoon after the mission, I begin walking down Keisuke's hall for mission report and notice Fea walking out of it.
     My heart drops to my stomach. She told.
     As she passes me, I grab her arm and prevent her from walking any further.
     I turn my head to face her. "You told, didn't you?"
     Fea avoids my gaze and continues staring down the hall. "You'll find out soon enough," she says, ripping her arm from my grasp.
     As she begins walking down the hall, I hiss after her, "I'm going to kill you."
     I turn back to the door to Keisuke's office and can't make myself push it open. I squeeze my eyes shut, fighting the urge to cry. I feel my face pale. I don't know what is going to happen if I step through this door. Did Fea really just tell?
     Swallowing hard, I force myself to press my hand against the door and push it open. I plaster a look of calmness on my face as I walk in and then bow to Keisuke as he turns to me.
     "The mission was successful," I start up before he can say anything as if to ease his possible anger with good news. "The bounty was collected and has been deposited in your third bank."
     Keisuke doesn't show any signs of anger, and I feel the color return to my face and less and less like I'm going to faint. "Good. How did you work with Madi?"
     A new recruit, Madi, had her first mission with me. "She's good," I nod, "for eighteen years old. It was easy working with her. She was helpful and obedient."
     Keisuke nods. "Good work." When he nods toward the door, I can't believe he hasn't said anything about breaking Code. Fea must have kept it to herself.
     After I bow and turn toward the door, I realize I've spoken too soon. "When did you and Shoto get married?" He snickers.
     I freeze in horror, barely able to breathe. She did tell. I feel as if I'm about to lose my last meal as I stand there facing the door, paralyzed in fear. He knows.
     I force myself to turn around slowly and answer his question, but when he sees my pale face aflame with fear and burning with fury, he just laughs as if he's having fun.
     "Oh, I'll admit, sometimes you played it off well," he continues, enjoying watching me cower under his steely gaze like a guilty child. "Separate occupations? Steep, steep move. I've never seen a surreptitiously married couple do that before -- at least, not this separate. He's on a completely different island? How do you stand that?"
     I keep silent, biting my tongue and swallowing again. How I wish Jikan was here with me -- I'd be a lot less scared of what is about to happen. When will Keisuke stop torturing me and just tell me my punishment?
     Keisuke is really enjoying himself. "And other times, I was really convinced you were in love with someone." Then he laughs. "You guys are so obvious. What posesses you to kiss on property? You don't think I make sure almost every move my hunters make are watched? If there's anyone who keeps you guys accountable to Code, it's me."
     I want to shrink back and turn invisible at his last statement. Accountable to Code -- is he suggesting our death sentence, then?
     I lower my gaze from his dancing, taunting eyes. He walks closer to me, and I turn my face away. "You realize I can kill you for doing that, right?" He asks.
     If at all possible, my face pales even more. I feel as if I'm blazing 150 degrees and about to pass out. My heart won't quit thrashing widlly back and forth against my chest, and it's hard to even breathe.
     "You realize Maruko can kill Jikan for doing that, too, right?" He asks again.
     I close my eyes as I wince momentarily.
     "You may be Elite, Hora, but I don't need you. I can replace you like that and kill you as easy as anything."
     My heart thrashes wilder.
     "But I won't."
     I turn my head back to face him and look him in the eye. What?
     "I'm not sparing you because you're Elite, as stated. I'm not sparing you because I feel sorry for you. I'm certainly not sparing you because you deserve it." He pauses for impact. "I'm doing it because I'm not as heartless as people think."
     I struggle to find the words to thank him and fail. Instead, I ask, "And Jikan?"
     "I'm definitely not as heartless as people think. This violates the treaty I've made with Maruko, but no, I will not tell him that Shoto broke Code."
     I shake my head. "I don't know how to thank you, sir."
     "Don't. You could never in a million years thank me. I'm taking more risks keeping this a secret than you two are."
     I fight the urge to chortle now. Conceited Keisuke. I turn back to the door and pause before placing my hand on it to push it open. I look back at him, smiling in amusement. Why else would Keisuke spare me unless... "You're in love with someone, too, aren't you?"
     Keisuke only stares at me for a long, long time.
     I smile again before pushing through the door and walking out. I never imagined that Keisuke would have a lady friend of his own.

"They know," I gasp in desperation when Jikan meets me outside the hotel he's staying at. "Keisuke knows everything."
     "What?" Jikan asks in horror. "How did he find out?"
     "A chain of different things, but Fea -- she saw us last night and blew it all."
     Jikan winces. "And?"
     "Keisuke was just amused -- as usual -- at first. But he said he wouldn't kill me or tell Maruko about you."
     "Wait, what? Why?"
     "He said it was because he isn't as heartless as people assume. But then I asked him if he was in love with somebody, and he just stared at me for a long time."
     Jikan laughs and doesn't stop for almost a minute straight, which makes me laugh, too. "Him? A lady friend?" He laughs again. "I never saw that coming in a million years."
     "Nor did I," I smile.
     "When do you have to be back?" Jikan asks.
     "Not until curfew," I answer.
     "Want to go inside?"
     "Yes."

When Jikan has to leave again, I find my heart breaking once more. His coming back just makes his leaving again harder. 
     But the harder it is when he leaves, the more wonderful it is when he returns.
     The months continue on like this -- Jikan and I are separated for around three weeks and then see each other one week out of the month. As hard as it is, we get used to it after a few rounds. And eventually, our one-year wedding anniversary hits. I've turned twenty, and he turns twenty-one.
     We're the happiest couple alive. I cannot imagine my life any better. I'm so happy when he's here, even when he's gone for so long. I'm the happiest woman alive.
     Until I find out what he's been doing three weeks out of the month.
     "... and I need this man's money," Keisuke finishes, making it very clear what I am to do. "He owes me quite a bit of it. I'm not letting him slide this time. He's procrastinated paying me long enough. He's a --" at this, he curses -- "and you can tell him that. If he doesn't believe you, bring him to me and I'll tell him that to his face."
     I raise my eyebrows as if to say well alright then. "Yes, sir."
     I walk out of Keisuke's office after bowing to face the team I am to travel with. I stop abruptly as they all crowd around me. Fea is beaming.
     "What?" I ask uncomfortably.
     "Did you hear him say we're sailing to Honshu?"
     "Yes."
     Fea punches my arm. "You're going to see Jikan!" She squeals.
     I punch her back, wondering if I should've just killed her like I said I would. But since Keisuke didn't execute me for breaking Code, I let her go.
     "Oh, don't worry. They all know," Fea says casually, referring to my team standing around me. "It was only the most obvious thing in the world."
     I bring my palm to my face and sigh, and the hunters around me just snicker. "Oh, whatever. Let's just go, you guys," I sigh, pushing past them and leading the way to the outdoors stables.
     Once we're mounted, Kedo turns to me. "I'm second in command, right?"
     I huff. "Unfortunately."
     "Unfortunately? It's unfortunate that I'm not leading the thing. Why the heck would Keisuke put you in charge knowing you're going to Honshu around Maruko's place and probably see Jikan? You're only going to get distracted."
     "Maybe he knows that I'm not as bull-headed and rude as someone else I know," I smirk before turning my horse to the path. Kedo only snorts like usual and then rides after me, our team following suite.
     Raian, barely nineteen, asks if I ever found out who reported any of the incidents with Jikan and I to Keisuke, and Kai just coughs.
     I huff again, peeved. "Can we not talk about Jikan and just focus on the mission?"
     Fea laughs. "That's hilarious, coming from you! You're married to the guy!"
     I bite my tongue and roll my eyes. "Yeah, and no one is supposed to know that."
     "Well, we do, and there's nothing you can do about it."
     "Fea, has anyone ever told you that you're annoying?"
     "Multiple times."
     Kai guffaws. "I told her that just this morning."
     I groan again until Kedo graciously changes the subject and asks whether Iyano Haji, the man we are after, has been on Keisuke's top-wanted list for a long or short amount of time.
     "Pretty long, according to Keisuke," I answer. "He hasn't paid up for quite a while, and Keisuke wants his money back badly."
     "Well, obviously," Kedo snorts. "Otherwise we wouldn't be after him."
     When we reach the docks and board on a ship, I let out a gasp as we walk on deck.
     "What?" Fea demands.
     I turn to her. "I know who reported most of the incidents!"
     "Wasn't me," she defends herself. "I only caught one."
     "Yeah, not you." I turn to Kai, who is kind of shrinking back. "You!"
     Kai just grins. "Payback for scaring the life out of me on my first mission, eh?"
     I let out a frustrated "ughhh!" I glare at him. "Do you know how much serious trouble you've caused me?"
     Kai laughs at me. "Yeah, that was the whole point." Then he smirks. "It wasn't just me, though. There were one or two others--"
     I march over to him. "What others?" I demand.
     Kai backs up. "They wish to remain anonymous."
     "Their wish is not your command. I'm your commander. Who else reported the incidents?"
     Kai smirks. "Wouldn't you love to know?"
     I slam him against the wall of the back top deck where the second cargo hold is. "Yes, I really would."
     "Okay, okay!" He relents. "It was Kedo and Daryn."
     I release him and whirl around to Kedo. "You!" I shriek.
     "You yourself!" He quips back. "If you didn't want to get caught with someone, you shouldn't have been with them!"
     "I'm guessing you've never been in love."
     "Well, duh! I wouldn't break Code for the life of me!"
     "So you tell on others who look as if they might?"
     "If I didn't, it would've been just as wrong."
     Fea steps up and touches my shoulder. "Oh, relax, Hora. Keisuke's not going to kill you for it. You're fine."
     I glare at Kedo, then at Kai. "He wouldn't have found out at all if it weren't for them."
     "For the record," Kedo points out. "I only reported one incident."
     Kai speaks up. "And I only reported two."
     I gawk. "So it was Daryn all the other times."
     The others nod as if it is obvious.
     I sigh in frustration once more. Kedo finally simply shakes his head. "Come on, Hora. Let's just start on the mission."
     I sigh again anyway and follow him up to the deck where the ship's wheel is located. Kedo spreads a map on the wheel in front of us, and we look over it together.
     "Yeah, we'll make great time," he nods.
     "What about the storm the marshal mentioned?" I ask, my eyes quickly scaling the route drawn on the map. "If we ran into it, it would slow us down by two days."
     "Nah. We left early enough. We should be fine."
     I nod my head slowly. "Alright then."
     Kedo is right. The trip to Honshu is just as expected, and we end up making great time. As soon as we arrive on Honshu, we step off the ship, collect fresh horses, and begin riding to Maruko's place, where Iyano Haji is hiding by now. His cover is one of Maruko's warriors, and as soon as Maruko found out, he alerted Keisuke.
     It takes about two days to get to Maruko's place from the docks, but when we arrive, we spot Haji almost instantly.
     "What the -- he's right there," Kedo gawks as we crouch near the trees surrounding the outside of Maruko's building in a large what-used-to-be-sinkhole.
     Iyano Haji is leading guard, standing at the head of Daku Maruko's large building and overseeing all the other groups of guards. Every so often, other officer guards will report to him as they make their rounds. Maruko has this place heavily guarded.
     "The guards are all in on it, right?" I assume as our team gently begins making our way down the steep sides of the valley Maruko's place resides in.
     "Every one of them," Kedo nods. "Unless they spilled the beans to Haji."
     We keep Haji in sight, right in front of us. Once we're all standing on the ground and by the steep, grassy sides, we pull out our pistols and point them at Haji.
     "Hands up, Iyano Haji," I demand strongly.
     Haji turns around to face us with a look of really? and then turns back to his surrounding guards, about to command them to take us out. But when they all pull out their weapons, too, his jaw drops in shock.
     "You owe Keisuke money," I start. "There is no running from him. I'm surprised you don't know about the alliance between him and Maruko."
     Haji winces. Then he pulls out his weapons and tosses them aside in defeat. Kedo and Kai both tie him up while I look around curiously, then walk over to Haji as he is forced to his knees. Before he is knocked out, I kneel to face him.
     "You're leading guard, right?" I ask.
     Haji looks up to meet my gaze. "Yeah."
     "Do you know a man named Jikan Shoto?"
     Haji nods. "What about him?"
     "Is he on a mission or on duty?"
     "On duty," he nods.
     "Where?"
     Haji jerks his head to the side of Maruko's building. "On the south side somewhere."
     I stand up, nodding my thanks and then nodding to Kedo and Kai to knock him out. Fea punches my arm again. "Go on -- go see him! We've got this."
     I smile at her and then walk curiously through groups of guards watching the scene of their leader being captured. Most of them ignore me as I walk around the side of the building in search of Jikan.
     At the south side, it's almost a ghost town except for one or two guards. Most of them have deserted this side to witness what's happening on the other with Haji. And then -- yes! I excitedly realize one of them in Jikan.
     I walk toward him, then notice he's standing with someone else.
     I stop dead in my tracks as my heart skips two beats, drops to my stomach, and then catches in my throat when I see him closer.
     He's deep in the shadows of this south side of the building, kissing another obviously pregnant woman.
     I drop my jaw in horror, unable to say a word as I struggle to breathe in awe.
     Suddenly aware of a pair of eyes on them, Jikan and the woman turn to face my direction uncertainly. As soon as Jikan sees me, his face pails in horror.
     At first, I'm speechless. Then my next words come out aghast; "What the heck are you doing?!"
     Jikan pulls away from the woman quickly. "Hora!" He exclaims, looking like he's seen a ghost. "What are you doing here?!"
     Tears flood my eyes. "I should be asking you the same thing."
     Jikan winces, and the woman looks just as confused as ever.
     "Who is that?!" I almost scream at him, referring the woman.
     Jikan just winces again, and when he has nothing at all to say for what he's been caught doing, I stare at him open-mouthed for several heartbroken moments.
     I hear a voice behind me. "Look who we have here."
     All three of us turn sharply to the man standing behind us, and I recognize him as a warrior of some sort but don't know who he is. Then I realize he was the only other guard standing on the south side. He's grinning in amusement as he continues, "Jikan Shoto, breaker of hearts. He didn't mention he already had a lady friend when he married you, Kirai!"
     I look back at Jikan, my eyes flaming. "You married her?!" I scream.
     The guard behind me broadens his grin. "Heck, this is drama to the fullest. You didn't know? They're already having their first child."
     I almost pass out. Jikan is the father of that woman -- Kirai's -- child!
     Jikan cringes when I turn back to look at him. "How could you?!" I shriek, marching up to him as he pointedly avoids my gaze. He doesn't say a word back to me as he winces again.
     The man behind me just laughs as if this is the most amusing thing he's ever seen in his entire life. "Who are you, anyway?"
     I turn to face the man with a steaming glare. "I'm his wife -- his first one."
     The man drops his grin as his eyes grow wide. "What. The. Heck." He then turns to Jikan as if congratulations him. "Shoto, you sly dog!"
     I reach up to the cord around my neck of which my concealed wedding ring is upon, hiding in my shirt, and break it in one swift angry action, balling it in my fist and then slamming it into Jikan's chest. "I can't believe you," I hiss, ashamed at my trembling voice and the tears that begin to flood in torrents down my face. I let go of the balled cord I've slammed against his chest, and the wedding ring's weight drops it to the ground.
     Jikan just closes his eyes as he winces again. My heart catches in my throat once more, and it's all I can do not to break out in sobs right here and now. 
     I back up away from them all, shaking my head as more silent tears fall and I turn to leave, unable to stand another second of seeing my husband betray me. It's then that I notice my entire team with an unconscious Haji have been standing there watching the entire thing.
     I let out a sob as I break through them, running back to our horses outside of Maruko's place. I place my hand against a tree and bury my face in my other one, sobbing heavily. The only man I've ever loved just shattered my heart into a million pieces. How could he leave me for another woman? I trusted him with my life! I trusted him with everything!
     I've never felt this horrible. I sob harder, thinking back to all the things Jikan and I have lived through together. And he just walks away from all of that because he wants a child? I begin to tremble as the tears drop to the ground like frequent, pelting rainfall.
     When my team catches up with me, no one has any idea what to do. It's Fea who comes over to me and wraps her arms around me in a hug, and I hug her back, weeping into her shoulder as my own quake with the violence of my heavy, shaking sobs. 
     My life is going down in flames.
     And no one can save it.

That night, I'm sitting in the captain's quarters of the ship and on the floor, at the small desk that resides there. I bury my face in my hands, unable to stop crying. I bite my lip to keep back the sobs, but the silent tears don't stop flooding down my face and into my hands, streaming and dripping down my arms, staining the wooden desk I'm sitting at.
     I hear a knock on the door to my quarters, but I don't answer it. I sit there motionless, then begin to tremble with each shaky breath I attempt to take.
     Upon no answer from me, the door opens anyway. I don't see who it is, for my face is still buried in my hands, but I hear a metal clink on the space on the desk right next to me.
     "Hold on to the hope that maybe one day, he'll come back," Kedo's much gentler, kinder voice sounds in front of me. Then I hear his footsteps turn and leave, and the door shuts behind them.
     I pull my hands away from my teary face and look down at my desk.
     There's my wedding ring, on the thin, broken cord. I reach out to curl my fingers around the ring but only cry harder when I feel its weight in my hand.
     If you wonder why I'm the way I am today, this is why. Now you know why. Now you know why I hunt down and track the culprit and make them pay. Now you know why I murder them if they can't. Now you know why I do the things I do. Now you know everything.
     This is everything I never said.

TO BE CONTINUED IN LOYALTY - BOOK II: PURSUIT OF NO ONE. HORA WILL HAVE HER OWN CHAPTERS.

http://delightfulworldofdolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Madi-AGH.png

Madi | 18 | minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ 

Asking Jesus into your heart solves all of life's problems, because when Jesus steps in, the devil steps out. 

Signature last updated July 13, 2021

// STATUS: I may not be as active here anymore, but I am literally ALWAYS available online! Just comment on my personal blog >>> HERE and let's chat (or if you know my email, you can email me too!).

// CURRENT ANTHEM:  we don't have to feel lonely ♪ Feel Lonely (Matthew Parker Remix) by Sam Bowman and also American Girl's Fun Fest music XD

// WARFARE PROGRESS: Writing the fifth draft now! Keep up with my progress by following me on MyWriteClub!

// MY AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS
Molly • Josefina • Cécile • Emelie • Jasmine • Ellie • Chloe • Taryn • Katy Christine • Delaney • TLC JLY #27 • TLC Elizabeth • Joss • 35th Anniversary Felicity • 35th Anniversary Samantha • 35th Anniversary Molly • Kanani

// MY WEBSITES
Delightful World of Dolls | Life Undefeated | Madison Grace | Adventure in the Air

http://madisongraceauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/AGH-Madi-2.png

5/03/2017 9:12 am  #302

I have the next part on my phone and am slowly working at it! It is awesome so far!!

Liz - Roman Catholic - Cowgirl - Future State Trooper - Bookworm - Hopeful Future Author -  Country Music Fan - Movie and TV Show Junkie - Homeschooler - Etsy Shop Owner - ISTP

5/03/2017 9:15 am  #303

Yay!! Thanks so much!

Asking Jesus into your heart solves all of life's problems, because when Jesus steps in, the devil steps out. 

// STATUS: I may not be as active here anymore, but I am literally ALWAYS available online! Just comment on my personal blog >>> HERE and let's chat (or if you know my email, you can email me too!).

// CURRENT ANTHEM:  we don't have to feel lonely ♪ Feel Lonely (Matthew Parker Remix) by Sam Bowman and also American Girl's Fun Fest music XD

// WARFARE PROGRESS: Writing the fifth draft now! Keep up with my progress by following me on MyWriteClub!

Molly • Josefina • Cécile • Emelie • Jasmine • Ellie • Chloe • Taryn • Katy Christine • Delaney • TLC JLY #27 • TLC Elizabeth • Joss • 35th Anniversary Felicity • 35th Anniversary Samantha • 35th Anniversary Molly • Kanani

// MY WEBSITES
Delightful World of Dolls | Life Undefeated | Madison Grace | Adventure in the Air

5/03/2017 10:09 am  #304

Your welcome! 

Liz - Roman Catholic - Cowgirl - Future State Trooper - Bookworm - Hopeful Future Author -  Country Music Fan - Movie and TV Show Junkie - Homeschooler - Etsy Shop Owner - ISTP

5/03/2017 11:22 am  #305

Oh. My. Goodness. Madison, that was awesome. I am serious. It was attention grabbing, it was enjoyable and most certainly publishable.

5/03/2017 12:35 pm  #306

Thank you SOOO much, Liz!! That means so much!! So glad you liked it!! I really wanna publish it someday! 

// MY WEBSITES

5/03/2017 4:35 pm  #307

I am truly sorry for your loss, Hora. *pats her head*

5/03/2017 5:59 pm  #308

Hora: Do not touch me.

// MY WEBSITES

5/05/2017 11:01 pm  #309

"Shi and I stand staring at each other, guns drawn, while Jikan stands to the side and points the gun at Jikan."    Typo.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d1Kla2AyYicso/giphy.gif
Homeschooled, Catholic, and 14

I'm also really into Marvel.  Especially Thor and Loki, they're awesome.  They also totally act like real siblings. (Which I love)
I live on a farm.  It sounds cool, but it's not. XD
I knit and crochet.  A TON. 
I've got four a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶  lovely brothers.

5/06/2017 2:11 am  #310

Bahahah! I better fix that. XD

// MY WEBSITES

Board footera