Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2017 7:42 am  #21

Re: A look into the future:Parenting

This Post is being revived,HOWEVER; If debates and/or fights start it will be locked back up. Thanks-Liz

Liz - Roman Catholic - Cowgirl - Future State Trooper - Bookworm - Hopeful Future Author -  Country Music Fan - Movie and TV Show Junkie - Homeschooler - Etsy Shop Owner - ISTP

12/28/2017 12:44 pm  #22

I will have probably 4 children, and my wife and I will take turns carrying the babies. I hope to have 2 boys and 2 girls, and we will all live in a house in the suburbs and my wife and I will commute to work. The children will be public-schooled, but will be taught both Spanish and English at a young age, and in our house, we will speak both.
I am going to be called "Mother" and my wife will be called "Mom" or "Mama".
I will cook healthy meals, but occasionally take them out for dinner, especially if they've gotten a good grade on a test or report card. Desserts will happen only after dinner, and it will be something small, such as a cookie or a piece of Halloween candy.
Rather than giving them lots of presents for Christmas and Easter, we will give them a few things and go on a family trip. The place where we go depends on how much money we can spare.
I will raise my children as Jews, but they can follow any religion they wish.
They will all have a set of chores to do when homework is done, and if they do them without having to be reminded, they will get allowance. The list of chores will evolve as each child gets older.
My wife and I will have a special family time, 2 nights a week, where after dinner when chores and homework is done where we play board games, talk about our lives, all without the distraction of electronics. 2 nights a week we can do our own things, and on Fridays we can have a movie night.
They will not watch any PG-13 movies until my wife and I feel that they are mature enough and the movie doesn't have any sexual content.
They are welcome to wear whatever they like, so long as it covers their butts and chests.
They are allowed to start dating when they get their driver's license, and they will learn to drive in the family car, and if they want a car they will probably need to buy it themselves. 
Bad behaviour will be punished with things like no allowance for that week, no dessert, but they will ALWAYS be allowed to participate in family nights.
Bedtime will vary as they grow older, and once they turn 12 they can stay up until 10:30, as long as they still get up in time for school.
They will be allowed to go to slumber parties/birthday parties/big kid parties, but only if I know that there's no alcohol at the party, and I know the host's parents.
And, they will always be taught to treat everyone of every colour, religion, and sexuality equally.

12/29/2017 11:00 am  #23

Ok, here's my current look into the future.

If it is God's will, I'll get marry. If not, I will be content and blessed as a single mother.
I will have at least one daughter (adopted), and she will go to public or private school, depending on the location and her personal wishes. Coming from someone who was homeschooled for middle + high school and grew up in a place with a terrible education system, this sounds crazy, I know, but there's a reason.

My child(ren) will speak Portuguese at home and English at school. This is one of the main reasons for sending them to a physical school, teaching a child as a bilingual is easier if the languages are used separately. I will encourage them and teach them about Nosso Deus (God) but will not force them into Christianity as faith is personal, not something that someone can make you have. So, they will be encouraged to follow God, but in the end that is their personal choice and not one I can make for them.

As for televisão (television) and movies, that won't be a huge presence in their lives as they will grow up in a more "plain" home, but if we have a tv they can watch after they do homework and read some. Ratings (PG-13) honestly depend on the person, so I'll cross that's bridge when I get to it. I can't decide that without knowing my kids.

I will cook and they will have the option to either eat what I make or learn to make their own sandwiches, etc, just as I did. After all, you can't eat something you don't have. We will have desert on Sundays and special occasions.

They'll go to church on Sundays at least until they're out of elementary school, at which point I will encourage them to go but let them know that if they absolutely can't stand it, they can make the decision to stay home. And when they do go to church, they'll wear nice clothes. I won't let them go to service in shorts. Youth group probably, but not service.

They won't get an allowance as that isn't typical to the culture here, but I'll give them money if they've been good and have something they want or want to go to something with friends, etc.

We won't go out to eat unless it's a special occasion but often have regular meals with friends and family.

In my home we will always speak Portuguese unless it is an emergency, school, work, phone conversations, etc. or we have English speaking people over, in which case the rules change and we will speak English.

We will always celebrate Christmas, but focus more on giving than receiving. I want my kids to learn values, that money is not everything and family is important.

former home/road/unschooler, currently a college kid!
future first responder :-)
~hallie marie~

12/30/2017 12:39 pm  #24

I have no idea how many kids I want. We will see what happens. 
​I will probably send my kids to either public or private school, depending on the area we live in. There are some good public schools but if it's a rougher area, they would go to a good private school. 
​I would raise my kids to be Christian and take them to church. Although I wouldn't force anything on my kids, I'd really try to encourage them to follow their own walk with the Lord. Jesus is my life so I hope He will be my kids' life, too. I would try to make sure they are never shy about asking questions or talking about Christianity. 
​My kids will probably get a list of chores they have to do every day or once a week. They won't get an allowance because they will be expected to pitch in and help the family run smoothly without getting paid. They will have to earn their own money for stuff. However, if they do extra chores, deep-clean their room, do the dishes without being asked, etc, they will probably get paid something. 
​It really does depend on the kid for PG-13 movies. I was tougher when I was younger as far as things I could read and watch without being bothered, but one of my friends now still can't watch most PG-13 movies. 
​My kids will probably watch quite a bit of TV. I did when I was little and I turned out fine . . . kind of. 
​I would probably pick out my kids' clothes until they were 7 or so (at the age when they don't really care XD), then let them shop for themselves. I would let them wear whatever they want as long as it's modest. Except no sweatpants when you're going out. That's a pet peeve of mine, ahahaha. They will have to wear nice clothes to church, though. 
​I'll try to make my kids breakfast and dinner, and they'll be able to serve themselves ice cream for dessert after dinner if they want it. They have to actually eat the dinner, though.
​Assuming I think they would be responsible enough and they want one, my kids would get an old-fashioned flip phone at 14. One where they can only text and call people. 

https://www.nba.com/sixers/sites/sixers/files/gr-1_1.gif
Lydia // Sinner saved by Grace // No longer homeschooled // 14 // ESFJ // Extrovert // Reader // Writer // Geek // Sports enthusiast // Philadelphia sports fanatic 
FAVORITE MUSIC: Relient K, Owl City, Kings Kaleidoscope, NEEDTOBREATHE, Echosmith, Lights
FAVORITE BOOKS: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, The Trixie Belden series, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Christy Miller series
FAVORITE MOVIES:  The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Jane Eyre 2006,  Pride and Prejudice 1995, The Princess Bride 
FAVORITE SHOWS:  Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Death in Paradise, Father Brown, 

Board footera